Clindamycin Phosphate Topical Solution for Acne
Clindac A 1% is manufactured by the pharma giant Galderma. It is a clindamycin phosphate gel, a topical solution used for the treatment of acne vulgaris, a long-term skin condition characterized by symptoms such as pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, etc.
Clindamycin is an antibiotic which works by preventing the synthesis of essential proteins required by the bacteria to carry out vital functions. Thus, it stops the growth of acne-causing bacteria from further spreading. Clindamycin in the gel is a bacteriostatic antibiotic which is used to treat acne vulgaris.
How to Use Clindamycin Phosphate for Acne?
- Use the gel only on the skin.
- Wash your skin with a mild cleanser before applying the gel.
- Follow all the directions on the package or instructed by your doctor.
- Apply a thin layer of the gel and rub gently.
- Wash your hands after applying the gel.
- It may take up to 2-6 weeks to notice any visible improvements and up to 12 weeks to see complete results.
- Before using the gel, tell your doctor if you have any allergies to the ingredients or any other allergies.
- Avoid contact with eyes, nose, mouth and broken skin. In case of accidental contact, rinse thoroughly with plenty of water.
- This gel is not recommended to be used by pregnant or breastfeeding women unless instructed by the doctor.
- Initially, it may cause mild burning, stinging or irritation after application. Inform your doctor if the condition doesn’t improve.
Side Effects of Clindamycin Phosphate Gel
You may experience some major or minor side effects of using clindamycin phosphate gel such as dryness, redness, skin oiliness, skin peeling, burning, itching and irritation. If any of these side effects persist or worsen, stop using the gel and contact your doctor immediately.
A very serious allergic reaction to this gel is rare. But seek immediate medical help if you experience any serious allergic reaction like rashes, itching/swelling, severe dizziness and trouble breathing.