Uses of Benoquik Cream
Manufactured by Quik Pharmaceuticals, and also known as Monobenzone 20%, Benoquik cream is used for depigmentation of the skin as a treatment for widespread vitiligo. Vitiligo is a skin condition in which irregular patches of the skin, covering about 50% of the body surface, lose colour and become whitened.
Vitiligo is caused by the destruction of the pigment-producing cells called melanocytes. This monobenzone cream is used to reduce the colour patches of the skin that contain pigment so that they match the areas of the skin that have lost its colour. Benoquik is a cream containing 20% of monobenzone which is a topical medication used to remove skin pigmentation in people suffering from vitiligo.
How Does Benoquik Cream Work?
Benoquik cream contains 20% monobenzone that works by causing free-radical formation in the skin and this causes destruction of remaining melanocytes. Monobenzone 20% in the cream also acts by inhibiting the tyrosine enzyme which is involved in the production of melanin, the pigment that gives colour to the skin.
As the amount of melanin production decreases, the areas of normal skin gradually lighten to match the patches of the paler skin.
Benoquik cream contains the active ingredient- 20% of monobenzone in a water-soluble base containing sodium lauryl sulphate, purified water, propylene glycol, cetyl alcohol and white wax.
Side Effects of Benoquik Cream
You may experience some major or minor side effects while using Benoquik cream which includes sensitivity to sunlight and UV rays, mild skin irritation, itching and redness on the applied area.
- You should not use this cream if you are allergic to monobenzone or any other ingredient.
- If you are pregnant, or planning to become one, or are breastfeeding, consult your doctor before you start using the cream.
- It may take up to 4 months to complete the treatment. Keep using this cream as instructed by your doctor
- It can make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Keep your skin covered with protective clothing when in sun.
- Inform your doctor if your condition doesn’t improve after 1 month.
How to Use Benoquik Cream?
- Apply a thin layer to the normal patches of the skin that you want to lighten.
- Rub it gently and void contact with eyes and inside the nose and mouth.
- Apply 2-3 times daily for up to 5 months for proper treatment.
- Once you’ve achieved the skin colour you want, you can continue using this cream to maintain the colour of your skin by applying twice a week.